Services — Efficacy
For information, or to request a quotation, please contact:
Robert Doell, Efficacy Project Coordinator
Ag-Quest conducts efficacy and tolerance product evaluations for a wide variety of client companies, ranging from multi-nationals to individuals. Trials are conducted at each of our four research facilities (Taber, AB, Saskatoon, SK, Minto, MB, and Elm Creek, MB) by experienced researchers. Each facility also utilizes several additional off-site locations to access suitable pest/crop/environment/fertility conditions. Trials are conducted to assess the efficacy and/or crop tolerance of herbicides, insecticide, fungicides, surfactants and formulations. Services are also offered to evaluate fertilizers, seed treatments, inoculants, micronutrients, plant growth regulators, promoters and other biological or non-biological products designed to improve crop growth, productivity or stress resilience.
Crops Available for Testing
Below are some of the crops we test. If you don't see it here, just ask.
- Dry beans
- Field corn
- Sugar beets
Crop Pests Evaluated
- Annual and perennial grasses and broadleaf weeds
- Established nurseries of perennial weeds
- Collections of locally sourced weed seeds to augment natural populations
Dependent on local populations.
Including, but are not limited to:
- Crucifer flea beetle
- Seed pod weevil
- Colorado potato beetle
- Diamondback moth
- Orange blossom wheat midge
- Other insect pests may be available
- Misting systems at Elm Creek and Minto create an environment suitable for disease infection and growth.
- Close crop rotations on disease nurseries encourage infection.
- Inoculation with the target organisms helps ensure uniformity and reliability of the data.
- Leaf, stripe and stem rust
- Leaf blotches
- Fusarium head blight
- Seedling blights
- Verticillium wilt
- Mycosphaerella blight
- Sclerotinia stem rot
Other Diseases and Crops
- Botrytis head rot
- Powdery mildew
Long Term Studies
Recropping trials to screen multiple crops for sensitivity to herbicide residues over the course of several years have been conducted at all stations. Ready access to different combinations of soil organic matter and pH allow us to locate these studies to suit your requirements
Other Product Evaluations
Assessments of inorganic, organic and biological products for enhanced plant growth and development may be conducted on the crops outlined. Treatments may be applied as seed treatments, soil broadcast or banded or as foliar sprays. Locations with appropriate soil nutrient deficiencies or stresses are selected to improve the chances of success. These can include, but are not limited to:
- Sites managed for low levels of fertility/ plant nutrient deficiency.
- Stressed growing conditions (lack of moisture/drought, saline soils, low/unavailable plant nutrients, plant diseases).
After completion of the trials, the collected data is subjected to the appropriate statistical analysis to identify trends and differences between treatments.
- Data collection according to client’s protocol, or if not specified, data collection and reporting follows Ag-Quest SOPs compliant with PMRA and CFIA regulations.
- Electronic reports in ARM or other format specified by client (hard copies are available).
- Multi-site or project summaries are available.
- Reports submitted to client’s deadlines.
Our work follows the client’s protocol and complies with regulatory guidelines. We offer assistance in protocol development and research planning to comply with existing regulations.
Prices for individual trials or larger projects vary depending on the type of crop, pest(s) required, location, number and type of assessments requested, report format, and duration of the project.